Photographs of St Andrew's Church, Greystoke, Cumberland

After 1359. St Andrew's Church. Monument to William Greystoke 2nd Baron Greystoke. Camail and Jupon Period. On his head he wears the pointed bascinet with a camail (or aventail) ie the curtain of mail suspended from the helmet and falling over the shoulders to protect the neck. The jupon under which his coat of chain mail may be seen. His sword belt is low on his jupon, horizontal.

After 1426. St Andrew's Church. Monument to John Greystoke 4th Baron Greystoke. Fluted Period. His pauldrons (shoulder plates), are unusual in their style. His arms are fully encased in plate with a couter (or coude) protecting the elbow joint. Fine detail of the straps that held the armour in place may be seen on the underarms. A gorget, or neck armour, has replaced the camail. His head is, very unusually, bare as is his face, his hair cut in the style so typical of portraits of Henry V. Gardner1 states It is a remarkable fact that before 1440 the bare-headed warrior is almost unknown, while After 1455 the helmeted knight is almost equally rare. This may suggest the effigy was made somewhat After John's death or, possibly, that the effigy has been incorrectly assigned. His head rests on the decorated tournament helm. He wears the Lancastrian Esses Collar. John had supported the usurpation of Richard II by Henry IV in the 1390s; staunch Lancastrians. John had married, in 1407, Elizabeth Ferrers, daughter of Joan Beaufort, daughter of John of Gaunt, son of King Edward III. Two sword belts: diagonal (bawdric) and horizontal. The jupon, beneath the waist has been replaced by a fauld; horizontal strips of metal that wrap around.

Weepers. St Andrew's Church.