Effigy of an Unknown Knight in St. Dubricius Church, Porlock, Somerset.Early Medieval[Titles].
Before 1260 . The Early Medieval[Titles] Period describes knights wearing a single piece of Chain Mail that covered the head, torso, arms and legs to the knees. Commonly associated with Crusader knights. There are theories crossed-legs mean the knight had been on Crusade, the number of times described by whether the legs are crossed at the ankles, the calves or the knees. None of these theories appear consistent with the extant examples. There are further theories about whether the meaning of Crossed Legs being crossed Right Leg over Left or vice-verse. These, also, do not appear consistent with extant examples.
Battle of Mansoura
After 1262.St Mary's Church, Boyton, Wiltshire. Monument to Alexander Giffard -1262. Believed to represent Alexander Giffard; possibly his father Hugh Giffard 1195-1246. Early Medieval[Titles] effigy. Alexander fought on the seventh crusade and may possibly have died at the Battle of Mansoura in 1250. The effigy notable for the Otter at his feet, biting his sword, and for the arms on the shield being those of Giffard: Gules background, Argent differenced with a label five points indicating the son, possibly grandson, of the current owner of the arms.
After 17 Jun 1282 William "The Younger" Valence -1282 was buried at Dorchester Priory, Dorchester, Oxfordshire. His monument Early Medieval[Titles] with Crossed Legs. A particularly fine effigy with some remnants of its original colouring.
In 1325 Richard Bugge 1261-1325 was buried at St Mary & All Saints Church, Willoughby on the Wolds, Nottinghamshire.Early Medieval[Titles].Crossed Legs.
After 1338.Howden Minster, Howden, Yorkshire. Monument to Peter Saltmarsh 1280-1338. Early Medieval[Titles]. Right Leg over Left.
After 1366.Church of St Helen and the Holy Cross, Sheriff Hutton, Yorkshire. Monument to Edmund Thweng -1366. Early Medieval[Titles]. Right Leg over Left.
Before 1400.St Barnabas Church, Stock Gaylard, Dorset. Effigy of Ingelramus de Waleys. Early Medieval[Titles]. When the tomb was opened a chamber measuring 4' x 1'6 by 1' was found beneath the effigy. The chamber contained a dismembered skeleton and fragments of red leather believed to be the bag in which Ingelramus' bones were brought back from the Holy Land for burial.