History of Church of St Oswald Methley

Church of St Oswald Methley is in Methley.

After 17 Jan 1425. Monument in Church of St Oswald Methley to Robert Waterton Constable 1360-1425 and Cecily Fleming.

York School of Carving. Crocketed arch. He in Early Plate Bascinet Period armour. Large Orle highly decorated with head resting on great helm with feathered crest. Beard with spiral twists. Collar Esses and Crowns Alternating. Misericorde. Hip Belt with decorated buckle. She wearing a squared crespine headress and small Esses_collar. Chest with Angels with Rounded Wings holding Shields. Chunky Lions Mane.

After 30 Mar 1461. Monument in Church of St Oswald Methley to Lionel Welles 6th Baron Welles 1406-1461 and Joan or Cecily Waterton. He with bobbed hair typical of the period resting on great helm, livery collar of linked chain, standard (the chain mail around the neck), wearing a coat of arms (or (gold) a lion sable (black)), leg garter at the knee, fluted period with tassets that protect the thighs, his feet on a lion. She wearing a horned headdress, her head resting on a cushion supported by angels, small linked collar. Both with hands clasped in prayer with lots of rings. Little dog chewing at her dress. Chest with Angels with Rounded Wings holding Shields. Dogs chewing at her dress with Studded Collar. Angels Supporting Pillow.

After 1607. Monument to father, son and daughter-in-law in Church of St Oswald Methley to (right) John Savile 1545-1607, (middle) Henry Savile 1st Baronet 1579-1632 and (right) Mary Dent. Probably sculpted by Nicholas Stone Sculptor 1587-1647. Chrisom Child. Ruff.

On 02 Feb 1607 John Savile 1545-1607 (62) died. He was buried at St Dunstan's in the West. His heart was taken to the Church of St Oswald Methley.

In Jan 1719 Sarah Tryon 1651-1719 (68) died. She was buried at Church of St Oswald Methley.

After 05 Jun 1741. Monument in Church of St Oswald Methley to Charles Savile of Methley 1676-1741 erected by his wife Aletheia Millington 1682-1759 who was also subsequently interred at Church of St Oswald Methley. Sculpted by Peter Scheemakers 1691-1781.

In 1780. Monument in Church of St Oswald Methley to John Savile 1st Earl Mexborough 1719-1778 (60) sculpted by Joseph Wilton Sculptor 1722-1822 (57).

Around 1763 Joshua Reynolds Painter 1723-1788. Portrait of John Savile 1st Earl Mexborough 1719-1778 with Sarah Delaval Countess Mexborough 1742-1821 and their son John Savile 2nd Earl Mexborough 1761-1830.

After 07 Jun 1821. Monument in Church of St Oswald Methley to Elizabeth Stephenson Countess Mexborough 1762-1821 sculpted by Robert Blore Sculptor 1780-1838.

After 09 Aug 1821. Monument in Church of St Oswald Methley to Sarah Delaval Countess Mexborough 1742-1821.

In 1751. Arthur Pond Painter 1705-1758. Portrait of Rhoda Delaval 1725-1757 and her siblings Francis Blake Delaval 1727-1771, Edward Hussey Delaval 1729-1814, John Delaval 1st Baron Delaval 1728-1808, Anne Hussey Delaval 1743- and Sarah Delaval Countess Mexborough 1742-1821. Around 1763 Joshua Reynolds Painter 1723-1788. Portrait of John Savile 1st Earl Mexborough 1719-1778 with Sarah Delaval Countess Mexborough 1742-1821 and their son John Savile 2nd Earl Mexborough 1761-1830.

After 03 Feb 1830. Monument in Church of St Oswald Methley to John Savile 2nd Earl Mexborough 1761-1830.

Around 1763 Joshua Reynolds Painter 1723-1788. Portrait of John Savile 1st Earl Mexborough 1719-1778 with Sarah Delaval Countess Mexborough 1742-1821 and their son John Savile 2nd Earl Mexborough 1761-1830.

In 1898 Venerable Henry Armstrong Hall Archdeacon 1853-1921 (44) was appointed Rector of Church of St Oswald Methley.

After 17 Aug 1899. Monument to John Savile 4th Earl Mexborough 1810-1899 at Church of St Oswald Methley erected by his son John Henry Savile 6th Earl Mexborough 1868-1945.

After 12 May 1921. Church of St Oswald Methley. Memorial to Venerable Henry Armstrong Hall Archdeacon 1853-1921 sculpted by Frederick John Wilcoxson Sculptor 1888-1974.

Exterior of Church of St Oswald Methley.

Interior of Church of St Oswald Methley.

Rectors of Church of St Oswald Methley.