Places to Photograph is in To-Do List.
Rutlandshire. Church of St Mary Magdalene and St Andrew, Ridlington. The church has a Jacobean memorial to James Harington and his wife facing each other, praying in a kneeling position. Over the vestry door in the south aisle, is a Norman tympanum.
Cambridgeshire. St Magdalene, Brampton, Cambridgeshire. Millicent Duchess Manchester.
NorfolkCarolyn Baxter. 21 September at 18:39. Two elaborate monuments in St Nichola Chapel, King's Lynn, Norfolk. The first one is to Thomas Snelling and his wife Margaret. 3 children and a baby lie undernath the parents. Thomas, twice mayor of Thetford and a wealthy merchant died at the age of 39. The other larger monument is that of Thomas Greene (died 1675) and his wife Susannah Barker. He was Mayor of King's Lynn. Probably a wealth merchant too, his and susannah's 5 daughters and 4 sons are shown underneath. The incised slab which was very hard to photograph is of a member of the Cruso family. Daniel Defoe apparently visited King's Lynn, and enjoyed himself there! There are several Crusos in this very large chapel. There is a Robinson Cruso but I could not locate his ledger slab
NorthamptonshireChurch of St Michael, Aynho, Northamptonshire near to Banbury. Chest tomb to Cartwright family, erected 1654, black and white marble. Panelled sides with shields. Marble wall tablets to Matthew Hutton died 1711 by Edward Stanton, framed with baroque scrolls and draperies. To Thomas Chapman, died 1684, architectural frame with Corinthian columns, scroll pediment and urn and similar tablet to Rhoda Chapman, died 1686, both attributed to William Stanton.
NorthamptonshireChurch of St Michael Farthinghoe, Northamptonshire. Monument to George Rush died 1806. Signed by Charles Regnart of London. Free standing sarcophagus with life size white marble figure in loose robe reclining with slippers on feet and Bible in hand. According to R. Gunnis the masterpiece or Regnart. The effgy is "one of the most remarkable and unusual in England during the early nineteenth century." The wall tablet now dissembled to Henrietta and Catherine Rush died 1801, with mourning women by urn. Stone wall tablets in chacel; 1684 and 1694, inscriptions in oval frames of scrolls with cherubs and swags of fruit.
NorthamptonshireNick Faris. A brief visit yesterday to the Church of St James the great at Paulersbury Northants mainly to see the tomb and wooden effigies of Sir Lawrence de Paveley and his wife, from around 1340 to 1350, though sadly in not such great shape, some restoration work has been done to them and parts are missing, I am sure they were rather splendid in their day and still well worth viewing today.
NorthamptonshireNick Faris. Early 17th century tomb to Sir Arthur Throckmorton and his wife Anne at The church of st James the great Paulersbury Northants
BuckinghamshireCarolyn Baxter. 18 September at 13:59. I live in Milton Keynes (sorry but came here for work!). It is mostly very modern but there are some older towns which have been swallowed up. Bletchley is one such town and it has an older part with a medieval parish church, St Mary's. This contains the tomb of Richard Grey( 1393-1442), 6th Baron of Wilton. He accompanied Henry V to France at the time of the battle of Agincourt and was stationed at a port in France. He has a very fine? alabaster monument. The helmet is 17th century.
BuckinghamshireThornton. St Michael and All Angels' Church, Thornton. On each side of the western entry to the nave, under the gallery, is an alabaster effigy; on the left of John Barton, who died in 1437, and on the north side is Isabella, his wife who died in 1457. In the body of the nave is the font, then the alabaster effigy of a 14th-century priest. Beyond these is the re-assembled tomb chest of Robert Ingylton. This had been moved from the church at the beginning of the 19th century and used to form a grotto in the grounds of the house. Its remains were discovered in 1945 and reassembled in the church the following year. The top of the tomb is covered by a large brass inscribed with the figures of a man in armour, three wives, and 14 children, all framed by a canopy with four gables. The sides of the freestone chest are carved with niches containing figures of saints.
BuckinghamshireMonument to the Verney Family. Erected 1653. The monument was commissioned by Sir Ralph Verney. Middle Claydon, Buckinghamshire.
BuckinghamshireAll Saint's Parish Church, Middle Claydon, Buckinghamshire - Monument to Sir Edmund Verney (died 3rd October, 1642). "They that would wrest that standard from his hand, must first wrest his soul from his body." Sir Edmund Verney’s own words when he accepted the King’s invitation to be his Standard Bearer were to come true less than two months later on the field at Edgehill, the first major battle of the English Civil Wars in October 1642.
Bedfordshire. Chicksands Priory. Possibly Danvers Osborn died 1753.
BedfordshireChurch of All Saints, Odell, Bedfordshire. Monuments including one by Bacon to the Alston Baronets of Odell. Near Bedford. In the chancel is a monument by Bacon, to Lieut. Thomas Alston, 40th Regt. who fell at Monte Video in 1807, and there are many others to this family of earlier date, including Frances, wife of Thomas Alston, 1644; William Alston esq, 1637; Sir Thomas Alston bart. 1678; and Elizabeth, his wife, 1677; Thomas Alston, their son, 1668; Sir Rowland Alston bart. 1697; and Temperance, his wife, 1728; Vere John Alston, rector, 1762; two later baronets and numerous descendants
BedfordshireFinally last week I was able to visit All Saints Church at Chalgrave, Bedfordshire. A fine little church with some nice medieval paintings on the walls and what I think are 2 rather nice late Fourteenth century monuments of knights, one of which displays the arms of the Loring family on his tomb,widely believed to be the tomb of Sir Nigel Loring one of the first Knights of the Garter he fought at the battles of Sluys 1340, Crecy 1346,Poitiers 1356 and at Najera in Spain under the command of the Black prince. The other monument is believed to be to Sir John Broughton who was related to the Loring family via marriage. Both monuments very similar but nice to see two in one small church. Foot Note I forgot to add Sir Nigel Loring was the main character in two of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's books Sir Nigel and The white company.
HuntingdonshireAll Saints Church (Hartford), in Huntingdon. Memorial to congregation member lost on the Titanic
SomersetGoathurst Church. The aisle contains Halswell and Tynte family monuments from the 17th to the 19th century.
SomersetMonument to Sir Richard (d.1483) and Lady Margaret Choke. Long Ashton, Somerset. He was a Justice of the Common Pleas from 1461.
SuffolkSt Mary, Helmingham, Suffolk. Four Tollemaches all called Lionel. The monument is so big that the church roof had to have a dormer window installed so it would fit inside. Three Lionels have swords, the fourth does not because he was a judge.
SuffolkWangford St Peter Suffolk. John Rous Baronet. This monument is signed by Robert Page of Norwich. I had been told this but I did not spot the signature itself until my third visit. John Earl of Stradbrooke.
SuffolkChris Droffats. Flixton St Mary Suffolk. The figure of Lady Waveney is a major work by John Bell from the end of the 19th C, set in its own little chapel.
Suffolk. St Mary's Church, Brent Eleigh, Suffolk. 07.07.2018. On the north wall is the splendid memorial to Edward Coleman of Brent Eleigh Hall, d1740.
SuffolkWorlingham All Saints Suffolk. A suburb of Beccles and a strong Victorian approach here, by Sir Arthur Blomfield no less, he seems to have done a few churches in the County. There is a nice Chantrey monument here and a fair bit of decent glass, but there was little to detain me, to be honest.
Oxfordshire. St. Mary's Church, North Leigh, Oxfordshire. 1: The tomb is thought to be that of Sir William Wilcote and his wife (c. 1442). Located in the Wilcote Chapel. 2: Memorial to Henry Perrot (died 1740) by Ricketts of Gloucester. On a high resolution image it is immediately apparent how many of these monuments could do with a really good 'spring-clean'. There are cobwebs everywhere! 3: Dr Robert Perrott, 1605 his wife Mary (Withington) with their 8 children The Perrott family were Lords of the Manor. The Perrott north aisle was later built c1690. 4: Monument to William Lenthall (father of Speaker Lenthall), died 1596 and wife.
OxfordshireThis is the tomb of Sir John Golafre (d.1442) at Fyfield in Oxfordshire. His arms are seen on the right of the photograph. Cadaver tombs are double-decker structures with a figure of the deceased clothed in regalia above but enshrouded in death beneath - it is a fitting 'memento mori' and a reminder of the transience of earthly glory.
WiltshireMonument to Edward St. John (d.1645), Lydiard Tregoze, Wiltshire. Known as the Golden Cavalier, it is known to have been gilded by 1780. On the base is a relief of Edward leading a cavalry charge.
Cornwall. St Swithins Church, Launcells, North East Cornwall. The tomb of Sir John Chamond (1624). The parish church is dedicated to St Swithin: nearby, in the wooded valley is the holy well of St Swithin. There are two aisles but the arcades differ: while the north one is of granite the south is of Polyphant stone. The fine series of over 60 bench-ends is from the same workshop as those of Kilkhampton and Poughill.
CornwallMonument to Sir Bevil Grenville - St. James Church, Kilkhampton, Cornwall. Sir Bevil Grenville (23 March 1594/5 – 5 July 1643), lord of the manors of Bideford in Devon and of Stowe in the parish of Kilkhampton, Cornwall, was a Royalist commander in the Civil War. He was killed in action in heroic circumstances at the Battle of Lansdowne in 1643.
CornwallTomb of Edward Eliot, St. Germans, Cornwall. A very fine Rysbrack tomb located in the church of St. Germanus, Cornwall (18th cent.) Supposed to be the finest monument/tomb in Cornwall. One can only guess what it must have cost at the time!
CornwallMadron Church (St. Madron or Madrona), Madron, Cornwall. St Madrona's Church is in Madron, Cornwall, near Penzance. The church was in early times the mother church of Morvah and Penzance. This monument commemorates the Rev. Duke Pearse and the Rev. Thomas Rowe, the latter having been nearly 16 years Vicar of Madron. Two effigies are depicted, kneeling face to face, with a draped reading desk, on which are two open books between them. The first, facing eastward, is probably the representation of the Rev. Thomas Rowe; his hair is long, and lank when compared with the flowing wig of the opposite figure, which judging from a portrait of him now in the possession of a member of his family, it may be presumed represents the Rev. Duke Pearse, who died at the early age of 27 years. Both these reverend gentlemen wear bands and surplicos and with uplifted faces raise their hands in an attitude of prayer.
Surrey. Superb monuments in St Peter and Paul Lingfield, Surrey. 1st, 2nd and 3rd Earls of Cobham, dating from 14th and 15th century. Reginald the third Earl’s monument is sited right in front of the high altar and he lies immortalised in alabaster with his second wife, Anne, by his side. The quality of the carving is superb. Both he and the second Earl have Saracen’s heads as supporters and the second Earl also rests his feet on a full length recumbent one. There is also a large number of brasses and incised stone memorials around the chapels in this amazing church.
DevonTawstock, Devond. Mildmay monuments. North transept: charity boards on west and north walls. Mrs Ann Chilcott (d.1559). Tall obelisk with female figure resting on urn. Robert Wrey (d.1809). Florence Lady Wrey (d,1724). Large chest tomb to Sir John Wrey (d.1597) and wife transferred from St Ive, Cornwall in 1924 with 3 tier nowy-arched back plate with achievement, cartouche and praying figures. 2 semi-circular arched panels divided by caryatid to front of chest. Crossing pier of north transept, east side: wall monument to Henry Northcote (d. 1729) by Tho. Jewell of Barnstaple. Oval medallions. Corinthian pilasters. Cherubs leaning on shields flanking central achievement. On north side, to Joan, daughter of Edward Lovet Esq (d.1679). Oval medallion, pilasters, achievement and winged cherub in base. Chancel: wall monuments to Rev., Chichester Wrey (d.1756) above tablet to Maria Naylor (d.1607). Lady Rolle (d.1705) above Rev. Bourchie Wrey (d(1839) by J Gould of Barum. Mary St John (d.1631). Ionic colonettes, achievement with broken pediment above praying, kneeling female figure with child at foot. Wooden C14 effigy of a lady in recess, dressed in wimple and mantle. Bourchier Wrey (d.1696). Beyond altar rail, massive alabaster tomb of William Bourchier (d.1623) with recumbent effigies, kneeling figures to head and feet, large strapwork cartouche and nowy- arched cornice with achievements. Jane Nailour (d.1705) south wall of chancels. South chancel aisle: free-standing statue to Lady Rachel Fane (d.1680), white marble, possibly by Balthasar Burman. Free-standing marble chest tomb to Henry Bourchier (d,1654), 4 dogs supporting sarcophagus with obelisks at the 4 corners. East wall: wall monument to Peter Bold (d.1665) servant to Sir Henry Bourchier depicting various armorial shields. South wall: Frances, Lady Fitzwarren (d.1586). 6 poster with Corinthian columns, recumbent praying effigy and elaborate strapwork decoration to the base and entablature. Wall monuments to Thomas Hinson (d.1614) and wife, the Surveyor and Receiver General to the Bath estate. praying kneeling figures facing eachother. William Skippon (d.1614). Kneeling figure in bold relief. Ionic colonnettes with amorino on pediment. North side: Sara Pollard, a servant to Countess of Bath (d.1652) and George Fane (d.1668). South transept; wall monuments to members of Wrey family including Ann Bourchier Wrey (d.1791= by King of Bath with woman reclining on urn, Sir Bourchier Wrey (d.1826) by Stephens of Exeter, Sir Henry Bourchier Wrey (d.1782) by Youngs and Son of Barnstaple, Anne, wife of Sir Bourchier Wrey (d.1813), lady reclining on urn, Mary Lady Wrey (d.1751) with marble sarcophagus. Free-standing urn on square pedestal to Sir Bourchier Wrey (d.1784). 4 painted hatchments. South aisle: Edward Lovett (d.1700), Oval medallion in bold relief. Ionic colonnettes, twin cherubs busts to base. Robert Lovett (d.1710) 'of a milignant smallpox".
DevonLady Dorothea Dodderidge nee Bampfield d.1614. Resting on a laurel crowned skull in her best frock. The detail is superb. Exeter Cathedral.
NorthMark Dowling. Hanbury, Staffordshire. In the south-east corner of the sanctuary is the reclining monument to Charles Egerton who died in 1624 and made of local veined alabaster. In relief on his shield are the arms: [gules] fess between three pheons [argent], on a canton [or] a sinister hand holding [sable] a broken sword [Egerton]. The crest surmounting the helm on the panel on the back wall is a lion rampant holding a battleaxe.
NorthVisited St Michael's Church in macclesfield yesterday to visit these. Plus nice to visit a connection to the Battle of Bosworth being the anniversary week.
North. St. Nicholas Cathedral, Newcastle upon Tyne.
North. St Mary's Church, Handsworth, Staffordshire
North. Swine, East Yorkshire. Sir Robert Hilton c.1370/80 died 1372 and his wife Maud of Campaigne.
NorthThe Boteler monument in St Elphines, Warrington, he died in 1463.
EastRippingale, Lincolnshire, St Andrew contains several medieval effigies in various states of preservation. The guy holding the book is most unusual.
EastSt Michael's parish church, Heydour. Inside there are monuments to the Newton family of Culverthorpe Hall, including Abigail Newton, died 1686, as well as Sir John Newton, died 1734, and Margaret, Countess of Coningsby (Sir Michaels daughter-in-law), died 1761, both attributed to Rysbrack, Lady Newton, died 1737, and Sir Michael Newton, died 1746, both by Scheemakers. There is a marble slab to the last male Newton heir, who died on 14 January 1723. The infant son of Sir Michael Newton and Margaret, Countess of Coningsby, he was taken from his cradle in the absence of his nurse by a pet monkey, which was pursued onto the roof of Culverthorpe Hall. It dropped the child over a parapet and he was killed by the fall. Signatures on the church bells commemorate Sir Edmund Bussey and his son Miles Bussey (born 1590 or 1592). They include the arms of Sir Edmund and his wife Francis.
Herefordshire. St John the Baptist, Byford, Herefordshire. Lots of monuments to the Cotterell Baronents, a marble wall monument by J Smth of London, Lettice Lygon 1906–1973 eldest daughter of William Lygon 7th Earl Beauchamp 1872-1938.
Herefordshire. St John the Baptist church Eastnor, Herefordshire. Detail of monument to 3rd earl Somers. Two angels support his pillow. The monument is located in the mortuary chapel to the north of the church. BOEHM.
Herefordshire. St Michael's church Ledbury. Monument to William Miles (d.1803) by John Flaxman.
HerefordshireA small unnamed boy apparently asleep lies under the watchful care of two angels at Ledbury. Sculptors Thomas and Mary Thorneycroft.
Herefordshire. Effigy of Sir Richard Pembrugge (d.1346), Clehonger, Herefordshire.
HerefordshireRoss on Wye St Mary Herefordshire.
BerkshireThe unusual monument to Margaret Hoby (d.1605) at Bisham, Berkshire. At the four corners of the pedestal are swans, the crest of the Carey family. It is probably by the Cure workshop.
ShropshireMonument to Sir Thomas Cholmondeley (d.1864), Condover, Shropshire. By George Frederick Watts, the monument immediately calls attention to itself: the life-size figure of Cholmondeley is shown kneeling, leaning on a dress sword.
WorcestershireMark Downing FSA. A Late Fifteenth Century Knight at Stanford-on-Teme, Worcestershire.
This alabaster effigy lies on a high table-tomb, also of alabaster, in the north-east corner of the chancel. The sides of the tomb-chest are decorated with weepers, consisting of men in armour and ladies, each kneeling on a pedestal under a cusped ogee-headed Gothic arch, which are divided from each other by upright pinnacle shafts. As the tomb is positioned in the north-corner, only the south and west-sides are visible. The whole tomb and effigy is made of veined alabaster, similar to Martley.
The south-side of the tomb-chest consists of six kneeling men in armour, with their hands held together, facing east. They have long bobbed hair and are wearing tabards over their complete suits of armour. Positioned over the legs are shields, which are plain. No colour or heraldic arms remain on them.
The west-side of the tomb-chest consists of one kneeling man facing south, represented in the same manner as on the south-side, and also three ladies huddled together facing north with a shield over their legs. No colour remains on the shields.
A frieze with a torus moulding runs around the tomb above the alabaster panels. The frieze on the south-side has a Gothic inscription, which reads: ORATE PRO AIMA HUMFRIDI SALLWEY DOMINUS DE STANFORD ARMIGERI ET JOCOSE UXORIS EIUS QUI PREDICTUS HUMFRIDIUS [QUONDAM] [ISTI??] JOCOSA OBITT ANNO DOMINI MILLESIMO CCCC. (pray for the soul of humphrey salley lord of stanford esquire and of joyce his wife who the aforesaid humphrey [former?] [them?] joyce died ad one thousnad 400). When the tomb was removed from the old church and re-erected in present church in 1769, the frieze was reassembled incorrectly. Thomas Habington record the original inscription which is given in full below.
The effigy is represented lying flat on his back, straight-legged and with the hands in the conventional praying position. The head of the effigy rests on a ‘frog-mouthed’ tilting helm, which has a Saracen’s crest on a twisted wreath. The head is uncovered, with the hair long at the back and short across the forehead. Protecting the neck is a mail standard with a stiff rim. The lower fringe has a vandyked border. The rings of mail are realistically represented. A similar effigy at Norbury, Derbyshire, that of Sir Nicholas Fitzherbert ob.1473, has a mail standard which is secured at the back of the neck by a hexagonal bolt. Hanging around the neck and falling on the upper chest is a SS collar. The two ends are held together by a trefoil-shaped pendant.
The shoulders are protected by a pair of asymmetrical pauldrons of nine pieces all overlapping counter-tile-wise. The lowest lame has a series of cusps along its lower edge. Both pauldrons have a small reinforce plate shaped like a jousting shield, which has the top-edge angled forward. They are secured to the lowest lame of the pauldron by a square-headed bolt. Represented on the second and fourth lames of the pauldron, is a pair of arming points, utilised to secure the pauldron to the arming doublet. Protecting the upper and lower forearms are closed cannons. Each of the upper cannons is fastened on the inside by a single strap and buckle, secured to its plate by a single round-headed rivet. The buckle has a double loop with a D-shape chape. The outside has an oblong hinge made of two pieces and secured to their plates by three round-headed rivets. Clearly shown on both the inside and outside is a longitudinal joint. The lower cannons have a single strap and buckle on the inside, represented in the same manner as that on the upper cannons. The couters are fluted with scalloped-shaped side wings, and are laced to the straps linking the two cannons by a pair of arming points. Each has two articulating lames above and below. A square-head rivet is represented between the two arming points which secures the strap around the elbow. On the hands are plate mitten gauntlets with long pointed cuffs, longitudinally boxed in two places. Four pointed lames protect the backs of the hands, overlapping tile-wise.
The torso is protected by somewhat globular upper and lower breastplates, the latter which tapers upwards to a point high on the chest, and has four cusps on each side, which appears to extend well below the waist to form a flange to support the skirt of plates. The upper breastplate is joined to the lower by a strap and buckle on the left and right sides of the chest and also high on the chest, on the point. The straps and buckles are secured to its plate by a single round-headed rivet. The buckle has a double loop with a D-shape chape. Clearly shown on the both sides of the waist under the arms is a longitudinal closing joint, with two hinges represented on the right side and one strap and buckle on the left side, which secures the lower breastplate to the back-plate. The straps, buckles and hinges are represented in the same manner as those on the upper cannons. The skirt consists of six hoops over-lapping counter-tile-wise, which are secured on the left side by three straps with buckles, represented in the same manner as those on the upper cannons. The hoops have a series of cusps along their top edge, and are represented with a longitudinal closing joint on both sides of the hips. Strapped to the fifth lowest lame of the skirt are four small bluntly-pointed tassets, which have two cusps on each side, two are attached to the back of the skirt. Each tasset is secured by two straps with buckles and are decorated with an upward-pointed chevron. The sculptor has only shown half of the rear tassets. The straps and buckles of the tassets are represented in the same manner as on the left side of the skirt. Below the plate skirt hang three triangles of mail. The rings of the mail are realistically represented. It is impossible to know whether these were intended to represent the lower edge of a mail skirt attached to an arming-doublet, or a fringe attached to the lowest lame of the skirt.
Passing diagonally across the waist from high on the right side is a sword-belt. The loose end passes behind and is pulled through itself to form a knot. The belt, which is joined in the middle of the effigy by a rectangular buckle, is decorated with square-flowers of four leaves in saltire; positioned at equal intervals with round studs at their centres. The scabbard has almost disappeared: only its locket remains together with part of the quillons. The scabbard is attached to the belt by a loose ring. On the locket is the Sacred Monogram Ihc. Passing diagonally, across the waist, under the sword-belt is a narrow belt, decorated in the same manner as the sword-belt. The belt supports a cord for the dagger on the right. The dagger, on the base of the slab, is now damaged.
The cuisses have a longitudinal closing joint, both on the inside and outside, with two straps and buckles on the inside and two hinges on the outside, represented in the same manner as those on the upper cannons. Each of the poleyns has a central longitudinal ridge. Each is articulated by three lames above and below. The first two lames extend to a shallow central point. The third lames are edged with a series of cusps. The side-wings are shaped like hearts their points to the rear of the leg, with strong scallop-like fluting. The lowest lame, which is broader and deeper than the others, is secured to the greaves by turning-pins on their outer corners. The lower legs are protected by greaves, closed by two straps and buckles on the inside and two hinges on the outside, represented in the same manner as those on the upper cannons. The front plate extends over the ankle bones.
The sabatons are of six tile-wise over-lapping lames extending to a point. Each has a central longitudinal keel. The first lame is secured to the third lame on both sides of the foot by a strap and buckle. The straps and buckles are represented in the same manner as those on the upper cannons. Closing the open joint between the greaves and the sabatons is a gusset of mail. The rings of the mail are realistically represented. Attached to the feet by straps are spurs with slightly-curved arms, the functional part of which are now missing. The spur-straps are decorated in the same manner as the sword-belt.
The lion below the feet looks towards the effigy’s right its body is unnaturally elongated. The bushy tail passes between its legs on to its back: the sculptor using the end of the tail as a support for the toes. It is very well preserved, although the sword is mostly missing.
The effigy appears to be from the same workshop as Martley, although some twenty years later. He is rather slender with some fine details represented on the armour. Two effigies closely related to that at Stanford-On-Teme, can be seen for instance, at Radbourne c.1500 and Scropton c.1500 both Derbyshire.
Thomas Habington recorded the effigy in the chancel of the old church thus: ‘On the north syde of the chauncell is a fayre and auntient monument raysed vnder an arche, wheare lyethe portrayed in alabaster a man all armed savinge his heade supported with his helmet, on which is a wreathe and his creast, beeinge a Saracen’s heade manteled and doubled. About his necke a coller of esses, at his feete a lyon: and dyd not the inscription style hym an Esquyre, I should esteeme hym of greater eminency. On hys leafte hand hys wyfe, with a bonet like a hatt wantinge brims of Sables, laced downe, with a rose on the topp of Or: this rarety makethe mee decipher itt. Her mantell, gowne, and other attyre pretendethe her extraordinary quality: at her feete towe littell dogs. At theyre heades and theyre ryght sydes kneele theyre seavne sonnes, armed all savinge theyre heades, on theyre coates armors Sables, a Salteyre ingrailed Or, and eavery one of them havinge a sheylde of the same armes quartered with Gules, a lyon rampant out of the feyld Argent (which I suppose to bee the paynter’s error), and in the dexter point on an Ogress a cinquefoyle of the secound. At theyre feete theyre three daughters prayinge, with Mr. Salweye’s armes on theyre gownes. Over all is wrytten, Hic iacent, but about the tombe the inscription is in the begininge obscured with a seate, and I gvesse it to bee Hic iacent corpora Humfredi Salwey quondam (the rest appearethe) Dominus de Stanford Armigeri et Jocosae Uxoris eius qui predictus Humfridus quondam Marscallus curiae Regis Henrici sexti qui obiit An. Do. 14.. Dicta Jocosa obiit An. Do. 14.. Theare are newly paynted over theyre heades Sables, a salteyre ingrayled Or, impalinge Argent, on a fesse betweene six martlets Gules 3 quaterfoiles of the feyld: Salwey impalinge Washborne, subscrybed, John Salwey, buried at Kancke. In the syde of the tombe and face of the monument over the portraitures, Salwey impalinge Palee of six Argent and Azure, subscrybed Humfry Salwey and Sterloy. Next Salwey impalinge Argent, towe lyons queue furche passunt Gules, subscrybed, Thomas Salwey and Lygon. After that, Salwey impalinge Argent a fesse ingrailed Sables fretted Or, in cheife three belles of the secound, subscrybed Thomas Salwey and Porter. Last Salwey impalinge Gules, on a cheueron between three trefoils slypped Argent as many Ogresses, subscrybed, Arthur Salwey and Searle’. Thomas Habington also recorded in the east window of the chancel, Salwey arms, Sable a Saltire ingrailed Or.
The effigy obviously represents Sir Humphrey Salwey as the inscription recorded by Habington on the tomb-chest makes that clear, but it does not give his date of death or his wife’s. All that Habington recorded was ‘14..’ The tomb was presumably set up during Humphrey’s lifetime with the intention of adding the dates of death later. Humphrey died 14 March 1493. He held the manor of Stanford-On-Teme and lands in Staffordshire, including Cannock. He was an Escheator for Staffordshire and Worcestershire, and an Assessor of a tax in Worcestershire in 1463.
Worcestershire. Sir John de Wysham at Clifton-on-Teme, Worcestershire.
This fascinating effigy wears a basinet underneath the coif which projects well below the ears.
The effigy representes either Sir Ralph de Wysham ob.c.1326 or his son John who died in 1332. Ralph de Wysham was the first of the family to acquire land in Worcestershire, at Woodmanton in the parish of Clifton-on-Teme in c.1280. He was married to Emilia and had two sons, Henry, John and a daughter, Halkysde. They originated from the hamlet of Wyesham, near Monmouth. Ralph had no social position, it was his son John, who was to become amongst other positions Steward of Edward III and justice of North Wales. Sir John’s first engagement as a young person was valet to Edward I, but what roll this entailed is not known. He then appears to have belonged to the retinue of John de Warenne, Earl of Surrey, as he was present at the Stepney Tournament in 1309. In 1311 John de Warenne made a grant of land to Sir John at Bromfield, by the service of a knight’s fee and in the same year he obtained the manor of Clifton-on-Teme from Roger Mortimer. Sir John’s first recorded position came in 1311, when he was appointed constable of the royal castle of St. Briavels and Warden of the Forest of Dean. In 1312 Edward II ordered Sir John to raise one hundred men from the Forest of Dean, and to assemble them in London to resist the barons revolt. Again in 1314 he was appointed commissioner of Array to assemble one hundred men from the Forest of Dean for the war against Robert Bruce, which ended in the English defeat at Bannockburn. In 1318 he married Hawise, daughter of Sir Michael de Poynings, and widow of Sir John de Reydon. In the same year he was appointed custodian of the castle of Knaresborough. Sir John is also recorded as going to France, the first occasion was in 1320, when he accompanied Thomas of Brotherton, Earl of Norfolk. The occasion was the performance of homage of Edward II to the French King. His second visit to France was in 1324, performing a similar duty. An important position came in the same year 1324, when he was appointed seneschal of the duchy of Aquitaine, which he continued to hold for two years. In 1326 he was appointed a supervisor of array for the counties of Worcestershire and Herefordshire and supervisor of array in Yorkshire. In 1327 he accompanied Sir John de Warenne to France, and within a short time he had returned to England to perform a service of muster at Newcastle: going on to the Marches of Scotland. His most rewarding position came in 1328 when he was appointed Steward of the King’s household, which he held for nine months. During his term as Steward he was with the king on a number of occasions. In 1330 he was appointed Justice of North Wales, a position which Roger Mortimer held until his fall from grace in the same year. John died in 1332, when he must have been at least fifty years old. His widow Hawise, survived him some twenty seven years. The arms of Wysham were recorded in the church, together with his wife’s, Poyning, and Warenne. The Reverend R.G. Griffiths remarks that John founded a chantry chapel in Clifton-on-Teme church, but gives no direct reference. Given his military and administrative career the effigy is most likely to represent John, rather than his father. It is however possible that John may have commissioned an effigy to his father shortly after his death, but on stylistic appearance, together with the basinet worn underneath the coif and the ring attachment to the scabbard, it would further support the ascription to John as mentioned above. Thomas Habington recorded the effigy in the south aisle and attributed it to a member of the Wysham family. He also recorded in the east and west windows of the south aisle the arms of Wysham: ‘Sables, a fesse between six Martlets Argent’.
WorcestershireMonument to William, Giles and Katherine Savage, Elmley Castle, Worcestershire. Erected in c.1632 by Katherine. An inscription on the side states "Reader, build your own monument while you live, unless fortune has given you as good a wife".
WorcestershireAlvechurch, Worcestershire c.1345-1350.
Worcestershire. Skied monument to Essex (d.1639) and Anne Devereux. Note their daughter sitting on the ledge in front of them. Leigh, Worcestershire.
WalesAbergavenny a quick visit. Amazing set of monuments! The Jesse carving is a must see. Really enjoyed the very rustic incised slab that can easily be missed in the choir.