Denbigh Castle is in Denbigh Castle and Town Walls.
Denbigh Castle located high on the ridge over-looking the town and the Clywd valley.
On 25 Dec 1281 Alice Lacy Countess Leicester, and Lancaster 5th Countess of Salisbury 5th Countess Lincoln was born to Henry Lacy 4th Earl Lincoln, Earl Salisbury (age 30) and Margaret Longespée 4th Countess of Salisbury and Lincoln at Denbigh Castle. She a great x 3 granddaughter of King Henry "Curtmantle" II of England.
"From Chester the King retreated to Denbigh Castle, and, having layed there two or three nights, retourned to Chirk Castle [Map]. The next morning, viz. 29th, he advanced from thence with his army through Llan-Silin, and quartered that night in Halchdyn1 and so passed through Mountgomeryshyre towards Ludlow.
Note 1. Halchdyn is in Deuddwr, between the rivers Havren and Vyrnwy, aad near Llandrinio. The name of the place has been anglicised into Haughton.
On 14 Oct 1646 Kenrick Eyton (age 39) was one of the commissioners to arrange the surrender of Denbigh Castle to General Thomas Mytton.
1800. Unknown Painter. Denbigh Castle and Town. Antique Steel Vignette by & Co Newman published by D.L.L.Lewis, Rhyl.
Archaeologia Cambrensis 1853 Page 155. Fall of Part of Denbigh Castle. Much alarm has been occasioned in Denbigh by the fall of a large portion of the solid old masonry of its ancient castle. Nearly forty yards of wall fell with a crash that was heard at an immense distance. A row of cottages built just below, with one exception, happily escaped without injury, but they were in great danger of being overwhelmed. It appears that the western side of the edifice is built upon a precipitous bank, and it is thought that the long continued rains, succeeded by the recent frosts, have loosened the soil on which the walls stood, and caused the unexpected downfall. We understand that the crown surveyor has received directions to inspect the ruins.
Archaeologia Cambrensis 1855 Page 64. Denbigh Castle.—Arrangements having been made with the Board of Woods and Forests for leasing Denbigh Castle to the inhabitants of that town, with a view to use the interior of the castle for public walks, and for preventing any further dilapidations; it has been determined to open a subscription for carrying tbe above purposes into effect. The consolidation of the Great Gateway of the castle, now in danger of total destruction, will be immediately attended to, and the other repairs and improvements will proceed as quickly as the funds will allow. Subscriptions will be received by the Mayor and Town Clerk of Denbigh, and the Steward of the Crown Manor.
Note 1. In the following document the words contracted in the original are given in extenso. In the first word the initial H has been here supplied, a space appearing obviously left for a rubricated or illuminated initial, which may have become effaced by time.
Chester Archaeological and History Society 1856 Page 48. Plan of Denbigh Castle from a Survey by James Harrison.
Chester Archaeological and History Society 1856 Page 48. Denbigh Castle by William Ayrton.
Chronicle of Gregory 1460. And that same nyght the kynge remevyde unto London a-gayne hys wylle, to the byschoppe ys palys of London, and the Duke of Yorke com unto hym that same nyght by the torchelyght and toke a-pon hym as kyng, and sayde in many placys that thys ys owrys by very ryght. Ande thenn the quene hyrynge thys she voydyde unto Walys, but she was met with be-syde the Castelle of Malepas [Map], and a servand of hyr owne that she hadde made bothe yeman and gentylman, and aftyr a-poyntyd for to be in offysce with hyr sone the prynce, spoylyde hyr and robbyde hyr, and put hyr soo in dowt of hyr lyffe and sonys lyffe also. And thenn she com to the Castelle of Hardelowe [Probably Denbigh Castle, Possibly Hawarden, Flintshire] in Walys, and she hadde many grete gyftys and gretely comfortyd, for she hadde nede there of, for she hadde a fulle esy many a-boute hyr, the nombyr of iiij personnys. And moste comynly she rode by-hynde a yonge poore gentylle-man of xiiij yere age, hys name was Jon Combe, i-borne at Amysbery [Map] in Wyltschyre. And there hens she remevyd fulle prevely unto the Lorde Jesper, Lorde and Erle of Penbroke, for she durste not a byde in noo place that [was] a opyn but in pryvatt. The cause was that conter fete tokyns were sende unto hyr as thoughe that they hadde come from hyr moste dradde lorde the Kyng Harry the VI; but hyt was not of hys sendyng, nothyr of [his] a doynge, but forgyd thyngys, for they that brought the tokyns were of the kyngys howse, and sum of the pryncys howse, and sum of hyr owne howse, and bade hyr beware of the tokyns, that she gave noo credans there too; for at the kyngys departynge fro Covyntre towarde the fylde of Northehampton, he kyste hyr and blessyd the prynce, and commaundyd hyr that she shulde not com unto hym tylle that [he] a sende a specyalle tokyn unto hyr that no man knewe but the kynge and she. For the lordys wolde fayne hadde hyr unto Lundon, for they knewe welle that alle the workyngys that were done growe by hyr, for she was more wyttyer then the kynge, and that apperythe by hys dedys, &c.
The Welsh Castles and Towns of Edward I comprise a number of castles, some with associated planned towns, commissioned as a means of containing the Welsh. They included, from east to west, Flint Castle [Map], Rhuddlan, Conwy Castle [Map], Beaumaris Castle [Map], Caernarfon Castle [Map], Harlech Castle [Map] and Aberystwyth Castle [Map]. Those not on the coast include Chirk Castle [Map], Denbigh Castle and Town Walls and Builth Castle [Map]. Arguably, Holt Castle [Map] and Criccieth Castle [Map] should be included.
The Great Gatehouse [Map] comprised three inter-connected octagonal towers known as the Porter's Lodge Tower, the Prison Tower and the Badnes Tower. The Gatehouse was further protected by a Barbican.
Great Kitchen Tower
The Great Kitchen Tower [Map].
The Great Hall [Map] had a buttery (for butts of wine) and pantry at the Great Kitchen Tower [Map] end, and a porch at the other end leading to apartments in the White Chamber Tower [Map] and Green Chambers [Map]. The holes visible in the wall are where the substantial floor joists would have been placed.
White Chamber Tower
The White Chamber Tower [Map] contained apartments with fireplaces and latrines.
The Green Chambers [Map], the name probably a reference to the green Gwespyr stone used, was a multi-purpose, multi-storey building with drainage.
Postern Gate and Barbican
The Postern Gate and Barbican [Map] were a complex series of defensive features to protect the vulnerable rear of the castle where the rock ridge was lowest.
Treasure House Tower
The Treasure House Tower [Map] protected the Mantlet [Map] as well as providing storage for the castle records. Access was originally only from the wall-walks but a stair was later added to the inner-face of the Tower for convenience.
Chester Archaeological and History Society 1856 Page 48. Part of the South Wall of Denbigh Castle [looking toward the Treasure House Tower [Map]]