The History of William Marshal, Earl of Chepstow and Pembroke, Regent of England. Book 1 of 2, Lines 1-10152.

The History of William Marshal was commissioned by his son shortly after William’s death in 1219 to celebrate the Marshal’s remarkable life; it is an authentic, contemporary voice. The manuscript was discovered in 1861 by French historian Paul Meyer. Meyer published the manuscript in its original Anglo-French in 1891 in two books. This book is a line by line translation of the first of Meyer’s books; lines 1-10152. Book 1 of the History begins in 1139 and ends in 1194. It describes the events of the Anarchy, the role of William’s father John, John’s marriages, William’s childhood, his role as a hostage at the siege of Newbury, his injury and imprisonment in Poitou where he met Eleanor of Aquitaine and his life as a knight errant. It continues with the accusation against him of an improper relationship with Margaret, wife of Henry the Young King, his exile, and return, the death of Henry the Young King, the rebellion of Richard, the future King Richard I, war with France, the death of King Henry II, and the capture of King Richard, and the rebellion of John, the future King John. It ends with the release of King Richard and the death of John Marshal.

Available at Amazon in eBook and Paperback format.

St Martin in the Fields Church St James' Church, Kinnersley

Nicholas Read 1733-1787

See Sculptors.

Around 1733 Nicholas Read was born.

From 1750 Nicholas Read [aged 17] became an apprentice to Louis Francois Roubiliac [aged 47]; the only apprentice Roubiliac, who had vowed not to take apprentices, ever had.

In 1762 Nicholas Read [aged 29] won a "premium" of 100 guineas from the Society of Arts for a marble figure of Actaeon and his dog.

On 11th January 1762 Louis Francois Roubiliac [aged 59] died. He was buried in St Martin in the Fields Church [Map]. His funeral was attended by Joshua Reynolds [aged 38] among many others. His apprentice Nicholas Read [aged 29] took over his studio at 66 St Martin's Lane.

On 18th September 1764 Anne Jacobsen Lady Morgan [aged 50] died. She was buried at St James' Church, Kinnersley [Map] where her uncle Theodore Jacobsen commissioned a monument by Nicholas Read [aged 31].

Anne Jacobsen Lady Morgan: In 1714 she was born to Jacob Jacobsen of Walthamstow, Essex and Ann Heathcote. On 17th December 1750 John Morgan 4th Baronet and she were married. She by marriage Lady Morgan of Langattock in Monmouthshire.

From 1780 Nicholas Read [aged 47] "lost his reason" ie had mental health problems.

On 11th July 1787 Nicholas Read [aged 54] died. His will was read the next day.