The True Chronicles of Jean le Bel Volume 1 Chapters 1-60 1307-1342
The True Chronicles of Jean le Bel offer one of the most vivid and immediate accounts of 14th-century Europe, written by a knight who lived through the events he describes, and experienced some of them first hand. Covering the early decades of the Hundred Years’ War, this remarkable chronicle follows the campaigns of Edward III of England, the politics of France and the Low Countries, and the shifting alliances that shaped medieval warfare. Unlike later historians, Jean le Bel writes with a strong sense of eyewitness authenticity, drawing on personal experience and the testimony of fellow soldiers. His narrative captures not only battles and sieges, but also the realities of military life, diplomacy, and the ideals of chivalry that governed noble society. A key source for Jean Froissart, Le Bel’s chronicle stands on its own as a compelling and insightful work, at once historical record and literary achievement. This translation builds on the 1905 edition published in French by Jules Viard, adding extensive translations from other sources Rymer's Fœdera, the Chronicles of Adam Murimuth, William Nangis, Walter of Guisborough, a Bourgeois of Valenciennes, Geoffrey le Baker of Swinbroke and Richard Lescot to enrich the original text and Viard's notes.
Available at Amazon in eBook and Paperback format.
Prie-Dieu is in Architectural Detail.
Prie-Dieu describes a prayer desk, literally "pray to God", monument.
On 31st August 1568 Humphrey Llwyd aka Lluyd [aged 41] died. He was buried at St Marcella's Church, Denbigh [Map]. Victorian Monument to Humphrey Llwyd 1527-1568. Prie-Dieu.


On 24th January 1592 James Harrington [aged 81] died. He was buried in the Church of St Peter and St Paul, Exton, Rutlandshire [Map]. Monument to James Harrington and Lucy Sidney. A large standing Elizabethan Period monument with 2 kneeling figures at a prie-dieu in a double aedicule. Wrought in various marbles and enriched with low-relief carving, strapwork etc. surmounted by obelisk, and arms. Stylistically similar to the monument to Robert Keilway. Possibly sculpted by Nicholas Johnson or Nicholas Stone [aged 5].
Lucy Sidney: Around 1520 she was born to William Sidney and Anne Pakenham at Penshurst, Kent [Map]. In or before 1540 James Harrington and she were married. Around 1591 she died at Exton, Rutlandshire.


On 27th June 1598 Bridget Paston died. Monument in Church of St Mary the Virgin, Tittleshall [Map]. Arched niche with kneeling effigy at prie-dieu which carries the inscription. Flanking pilasters with partly painted carved trophies surrounded by ribbon-work. Carved achievement in strapwork surround above and eight kneeling weepers below.
Armorials top left
Coke Arms and top right
Paston Arms.
Above the monument an amorial Quarterly:
Coke Arms, Crispin, Folkard and Pawe impaling Quarterly of Seventeen with 1
Paston Arms, 2 Peche 3 Leach 4 Somerton 5 Peyver 6 Walcot 7 Berry 8 Craven 9 Kerdeston 10 Wachesam or Sotherton 11 Hethersett 12 Charles 13 Tatshall 14 Hengrave 15 Gerbridge 16 Mautby 17 Basinges?.
Bridget Paston: she was born to John Paston. She a great x 4 granddaughter of King Edward III of England. On 13th August 1582 Edward Coke and she were married.





Before 1635. Prie-Dieu monument to Edward Waties of Ludlow and his wife Martha Fox at St Laurence's Church, Ludlow [Map]. The monument was erected by Edward in his seventieth year.
Martha Fox: she was born to Charles Fox of Bromfield and Isabella Newport. On 27th February 1593 Edward Waties of Ludlow and she were married. They had three sons and four daughters, of which two survived to adulthood. On 2nd October 1629 she died.
